Monday, April 30, 2012

I'm a Kid Again!

I know I've been absent for a bit but I've been embroiled in three online e-courses; How to Paint an Owl, Flower Crazy and Paint Your Story. They are all so much fun! Each one taps into the artistic whimsy I've been seeking. I am planning to do a blog post on each one. The first one I will tell you about is Paint Your Story from Mindy Lacefield of Tim's Sally.

The premise of the course is to get in touch with your inner seven year old. It's all about play and having fun. I honestly don't remember having this much fun as a kid. We are exploring what we love, creating inspiration boards and building a personal library of marks, symbols and colors. I'm using all of my art supplies on this one. I'm trying to discover if I love the paint or pastels or just plain everything!

So far I've made some collage papers and a background and I've started playing with faces. I've been trying so hard to create child like characters and Mindy's method has opened up the floodgates. I've started a mini notebook of characters. They are 3" by 5" thumbnail sketches that only take a couple minutes to create. I don't know if they will make it into a painting or not. They are just so much fun to draw!

This course also has a wonderful private Facebook group. The ladies are very supportive and encouraging. It has been an inspiring experience so far. We currently just started week 4 and there are two more weeks left! I'm so excited I can't wait to see what she has in store for us next. I believe registration for the current run is closed. Check the website. I'm sure Mindy will run it again. This video will give you a taste. If you want to loosen up your style and play like a kid again, take this course when Mindy run's it again.

 

2 comments:

  1. loving all your artwork in this class Lynda! Esp. LOVE your little characters. And your backgrounds are pieces of art that I want to frame and hang in my house!! :)) Can't wait to see more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynda, Mandy here. I'm lurking. I really like the little thumbnail of the fairy girl :) She's sweet.

    ReplyDelete